Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do you even think about it?

My mom has always taught me to be thoughtful and considerate, and I can't even lie and say that I am all of the time. I can say that I do my best to think of others. Unfortunately not everyone is like that and it is a little annoying, especially when someone I care about is like that.
I love doing things for other people. All I ask in return is a little consideration in return. I don't do things expecting anything in return; I don't do anything wanting something in return. I like to show people I care about them because words aren't enough.
But at a certain point I feel like I'm being taken advantage of and that isn't fair to me. In the past, I have given and given and given and not received anything in return and it wore me down. I felt used and unappreciated.
Saying you love me and you care about me is not enough; you have to show it. You have to show me that your words aren't empty and meaningless. Don't just say thank you; show me you are grateful for what I have done.
I have to say one of the best relationships I have is with my best friend. She is an amazing person and an amazing friend. We have a mutual friendship. If she needs something, I'm happy to give it to her. If I need something, she is happy to give it to me. There is an understood unspoken mutual appreciation and we are both aware of that. If she gives me gas money, she doesn't ask when I'll pay her back. She KNOWS that when she needs something, I will be there. If I pay for her dinner, I don't ask her when she's going to do the same for me. It KNOW that when I need her, she will be there. It is an amazing friendship because there is NEVER any question we appreciate each other and the friendship we have and we do our best to make sure the other person knows it.
I want all of my relationships to be like that and it is unfortunate that it isn't. I hope that everyone is able to have that kind of relationship at least with someone because it is such a genuine experience. I am not perfect; nowhere near it. However, I do my best to be a good person and sometimes put others before myself. I think this world would be greater if we were all a little more thoughtful and considerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment