Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

In my attempts to learn the history of Valentine's Day, I realized there is no definitive origin of Valentine's Day. One of the interesting stories I read about on History.com was about one of the three St. Valentines. Emperor Claudius had decreed that young soldiers could not marry because he believed single men made better soldiers. Well St. Valentine was disgusted by this decree he considered injustice and married couples secretly.
I had never heard that story before, and being Catholic, was embarrassed just to find out that the Catholic Church recognizes three Saints known as St. Valentines who were all martyred. Information I didn't know.
I know that some people love Valentine's Day, some celebrate their single status (which I think is awesome. I've done it many times), and some just ignore the holiday all together. Now part of me thinks it's silly to have a holiday dedicated to love when you should tell people you love them all year round, but there is something great about celebrating love. Love is probably the purest emotion. And no matter the type of love, whether it be romantic, between family, or between friends, it all derives from the same place. Love comes from the heart, spirit, and soul.
Valentine's Day has become too much about romantic love. All love should be celebrated today!
So tell the people you love them that you love them...and don't forget to tell them all year round.
I took this cool quiz on History.com and based on my knowledge, I would have been the most successful dating in the 1950's. :) I find that very interesting. I may know some information about dating in the 50's but I don't think my feminist mentality would work all that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment