Monday, March 15, 2010

Michael Moore and Chris Rock

I love watching documentaries; that's one of the reasons I love Netflix. They have a shit ton of documentaries. (Isn't it funny I work for Blockbuster and I still have my Netflix.) Well in the last week I have watched two documentaries. I watched Good Hair by Chris Rock and Capitalism; A Love Story by Michael Moore. The first made me laugh and the latter made me think.
Concerning the first, Chris Rock does make some good points about black women and their hair. A lot of us do have a tendency to spend a lot of time and money on our hair. But he made a good point of asking black women what they consider good hair, and the overall opinion was that the straight, bouncy, Farrah Fawcett type hair is the good hair. I was wondering when wearing your hair naturally became bad? or ugly? I have to admit, I do get my hair relaxed. My hair is much easier to manage when it is relaxed. And I do like my hair straight, curly, and bouncy, but I do NOT believe that my hair is better than natural hair.
It was also insane how much money women were spending on extensions. I mean, one lady allowed her customers to put their weave on layaway. That is crazy. One celebrity said she spent about 50,000 dollars a year on her hair. THAT IS INSANE!!! I spend about 300 dollars a year on my hair. Now, if it makes you happy to spend that money and you can afford it, I say go ahead and spend it. But it bothers me when a young woman who is a teacher, and basically makes nothing, is spending thousands of dollars on extensions. I think that these women need to get their priorities straight.
Lastly, one of the funnier things was when Chris starting talking to black men. Some black men actually admitted that they will look at a woman and from her appearance, judge how much money it would take to maintain her appearance and not ask her out. Haha I just wanted to laugh when the men talked about how much money they spend on their woman's hair.
Now, on to Michael Moore. Capitalism; A Love Story was extremely good. I like Michael Moore but I am acutely aware that he is usually biased and partisan, usually only giving information that will support his point of view. I was expecting the same thing here, but it was surprisingly bipartisan and informative. He took time to expose everyone who played a part in the current economic situation. I actually learned some things I didn't know.
I like that he focused on people and gave some personal stories. I was really affected by some of the things I learned. I'm not going to give too much away because I want everyone who reads this to watch that documentary.
I know the downfalls of Capitalism; I know that it promotes a selfish mentality. I believe that the people who say that Capitalism is the best way actually mean that Capitalism is the best way for them and the best way for them to make money. The problem with the "more profit" mentality is that companies will do anything, including firing people and reducing benefits, to increase profits. I even learned that major corporations like Walmart and AT&T have taken out insurance policies on their employees so that if their employee dies, the company receives money. I think that is unethical and I don't understand why that is legal.
I believe that the richest people in our country have all of the power, and they are not using it for good. It sucks that in this country, money is power. It isn't intelligence, kindness, generosity, love, or charity. In this country, we worship money, believing that money is what will make us happy.
Honestly, I don't mind some people being wealthy and having lots of money. I have a problem with the gap between the "haves" and "have not's" growing exponentially. Even in a recession, the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. You know, I don't mind giving tax money to benefit medicare, welfare, food stamps, medicaid, and other government programs that help people. I want people to be able to survive and thrive. And this is a great country and there are millions of people who care for others and want to help, but the people who have the power and can give people opportunity don't give a shit. They don't give a shit because helping others in need won't benefit themselves.
I really enjoyed both of these documentaries because they were enlightening in different ways. Michael Moore really made me more aware of what I have and made me more grateful to have a roof over my head, a job, a car, family and friends, and I am blessed to have had some wonderful opportunities in my life. I believe anything that not only opens your eyes to some of the things going on in this world, but also makes you appreciate what you have is wonderful. GO WATCH THEM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment